Frugal's Forums Archive 2001-2006 Post New Topic  Post A Reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Frugal's Forums Archive 2001-2006 » Frugal's Kitchen » BBQ and Smoking Recipes » open fire cooking

Author Topic: open fire cooking
lee
Elder States Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lee   Email lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna be cooking a pig here next month and I know one of you guys have a recipe for something easy I can cook to go along with it as a side dish.
we cook out on the fire all the time but its usualy chicken & rice or deer stew or beef stew.
but none of those would go good with pork on the grill.
I've thought about some sort of beans but for the life of me can't make my mind up what kind or how to season them to go along with BBQ pig.
maybe one of the great squirrels has a recipe I can cook easily on the fire and be a big hit with the crowd. it don't have to be beans either.
all help will be apreciated.
so far the menu is
pig, cole slaw, green beans,sliced bread and plenty of beer. (bikers)
now if a said certain squirrel wants to come on down and cook it over the fire I'm all for that too. plenty of room to camp and lots of indian motorcycles for eye candy. friday may 16th

Sedition
1 Acorn Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedition   Email Sedition   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pit Beans (Hole Beans) to some are the way to go. I make these all the time for barbecues.

Only problem, you need a big cast iron dutch oven, you’ve got time to buy one at www.sportsmansguide.com by next month.

Pit Beans (sweet)
5 pounds white beans
1 pound salt pork (or bacon) - cubed
3 onions - chopped
1 jar molasses
3 cups brown sugar
About 5 bay leaves
Couple tablespoons peppercorns
Couple of whole, dried hot peppers

Rinse the beans to get rid of grit, and soak over night in a pan, covering with 1 inch of water. Don’t drain the “bean juice”, keep it for the beans.

Dig a hole about 2 foot deep, and wider than the dutch oven. You need an oven big enough to hold all the beans, and I have a 12 quart that does 5 pounds just fine.

Start a fire in the hole, and after it is burning, fill up with hard woods (or pine if it’s all you’ve got). Let it burn hot, and down to fist sized chunks and coals.

Put the dutch oven in the hole, and add the cubed salt pork. After the fat melts enough to give you a couple tablespoons, toss in the onions. Cook them for a couple minutes, stirring and trying not to burn yourself on the heat from the coals (which is why you don’t want a roaring flame right now).

After the onions start to get soft, toss in everything else. Add enough water until you are about an inch from the top. Put an old washcloth over the dutch oven, that completely hands over the sides (to keep dirt out of the cracks). And bury with the soil from the hole. About 8 to 16 hours later, come back and dig dinner up. It’s easy and tasty.

For “sour” pit beans, cut the sugar and molasses in half, and add lemon juice and cider vinegar to taste (about 1/8 cup each, IIRC).

Rodent
Elder States Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

Check out the corn I make in over in this post:

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=000233

I'm telling you, it don't get much better.

JimRinTX
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimRinTX   Email JimRinTX   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a recipe for baked beans that everyone raves about. Any time we have a cook out I am asked to make them.

Ingredients are to be adjusted for the amount you are going to make.

Pork and beans, normally a number 10 can +

Bacon fried a little to get rid of some of the fat, but not crispy just almost done, and chopped. I usually use the ends and pieces.

Onions- chopped, as many as you think is right. I can't cook without onions, normally I use 1 to 1 1/2 large.

Maple syrup (or pancake syrup will work) to taste maybe a cup to a cup and a half.

A can of beer

A can or two (depending on amount to be made) of Pineaple chunks.

1 to two cans of pineaple rings, enough to cover the top of the roaster pan.

A large jar of marashino cherries.

I take a turkey roaster and mix the beans, bacon, onions, syrup, beer, and pineaple chunks together.
I put it in them in the oven at about 350 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half. You want to ensure the onions and bacon are done and some of the liquid has cooked down. Next I place the pineaple rings all over the top, and place the cherries in and arround the pineaple rings. Place back in the oven for maybe 20 to 30 minutes, you don't want the cherries and pineapple rings to get over cooked and dry, so check every so often. I usually drain the juice off of the beans so they will not be overly juicey. After the beans are taken out of the oven and are cooled a little, they will become more (solid ?). Less liquid. I suppose you could use smoked ham in place of bacon. It is almost a meal in itself.

You could do this in a dutch oven also. In fact I just bought a LARGE dutch oven that would hold this mess.

I would love to make it to your cook out, but it is a long drive from Texas. Good luck and have fun.

Jim

lee
Elder States Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lee   Email lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GREAT!! recipes guys, I knew the talent was here and gonna print this up. just bought a 11 qt dutch oven the other day. I'll have to season it and cook a little something in it to break it in befor the roast.
what I have to cook on is a pit I formed with bricks about 2 1/2' in dia. and I have a swinging arm I made that can be raised or lowerd above the fire. that way I can swing the pot in or out of the fire to regulate the heat.
OK FOLKS more recipes. and thanks again guys

willysjeep134
1 Acorn Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willysjeep134     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
make some cold potato salad or coleslaw too. Mabey roast ears of corn if you can find it. MAke it into a BBQ party. ALso, apple cider vinegar makes a great BBQ pork seasoning. Try a little some time.
Shedder
1 Acorn Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shedder   Email Shedder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

My wife makes a linguini salad that I garantee will not have much leftover and is easy to throw together.

Per pound of pasta (rotini);

1 lg cucumber cut up in bite size pieces
1 or 2 tomatoes cut into bite size pieces
1 bottle Italian dressing
1 bottle of Salad Supreme by McCormic

Mix thoroughly and refridgerate overnight so flavors can blend. This stuff is AWESOME!!!!!

With some of the bean recipes I am reading I would suggest that you rope off the cooking area so that those people eating them will not cause a catastrophie. [Joker]

Beans and Beer = [Flame]

lee
Elder States Squirrel

and the hens are starting to lay real good now so there'll be develed eggs a plenty.

beer + beans + eggs = WHO KNOWS! [Eek!]

fox2
Elder States Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fox2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cooked cabbage is ALLWAYS good with pork. You can chop it up (cube it) and cook it in a pot with some minced garlic, seasoned salt, and pepper. One of my favorite ways is to cut out the core, add salt, pepper, garlic and stuff a stick of butter in the hole. Do not cut all the way through when cutting out the core! After doing this wrap it in heavy aluminum foil to cook, keeping the hole in the up position so the butter spreads throughout the head. As with all foil cooking, too much direct heat will cause burn spots so do not place directly over the fire or directly on hot coals. Yummmmm.

Also good with pork or anything else is potato packets. Scrub the potatoes leaving the skin on, slice, salt & pepper, add a few sliced onions if you like (I do), and some butter. Seal the packet(s) of aluminum foil and cook. Be careful as they will burn if you get too much direct heat.

A really great BBQ sauce for any pork, I mean REALLY great I do not normally give this out but now the whole world will have it:

28 oz. ketchup
2 cups water
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1 & 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup dark Karo syrup
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. ground mustard
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. black pepper

Simmer 30 minutes
Makes about 2 quarts which does not last long, also good on other meat.

I hope these help. Now I am hungry again, just smoked a pork butt this A.M. about 2:00. I also have a great pork rub recipe (butt rub) if you are interested. The combination with the BBQ sauce is awsume if you smoke meat and like just a little spice. I guess I should have sent this to you via e-mail.

fox
out

(edited to add omissions)

[ April 20, 2003, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: fox2 ]

lee
Elder States Squirrel

yea I'm all for a good rub recipe and the tater packets sound good and the cabbage is gonna get tried for sure.
I tell ya a good recipe for pork is go to the pepperfool.com web site and check out arkansas BBQ sause. I've added some liquid smoke along with cutting back on the pepper and its exelent for pig you hash up the pig in the skin and soak it in this sause.
its a vinegar base sause.

demolitionpro
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for demolitionpro   Email demolitionpro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeh! That sounds great JimRin! I just made a copy of that recipe and promise not to tell anyone. [Big Grin] It isn't the easiest but as the saying goes you get what you put into it. I will enjoy cooking this up, and watching the faces of my guests, during the next bon fire outing.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Frugal's Homepage for Patriots, Survivalists, & Gun Owners

This site, as well as all graphics, posts and logos are copyrighted and can not be used without written permission. ©2001 - 2006 Preparedness Educational Services