Frugal's Forums Archive 2001-2006   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Frugal's Forums Archive 2001-2006 » Patriots and Survivalism » Survival Weapons » .357 vs .44 mag in a lever action rifle.

Author Topic: .357 vs .44 mag in a lever action rifle.
claykuch
Flying Squirrel

Icon 5 posted      Profile for claykuch   Email claykuch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very close to buying a 1894 Marlin. I am just undecided about the caliber. I plan to use it for plinking, close range varmets, personal defence, and possibly deer size game. I have narowed it down to 2. 357 and 44 mag. What are the pros an cons of each? [Confused]
Mr45
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr45     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People on the range will mistake the 357 for a 22 as there is almost no report and very little recoil. The same will not be said of the 44 as it will be loud and kick the tar out of your shoulder.

I have an 1894 in 44 and have considered getting rid of it and getting a 357 as I have a GP100 and a Blackhawk but no other weapons chambered in 44 so it's odd man out at the moment.

PACKIN' PLASTIC
1 Acorn Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PACKIN' PLASTIC   Email PACKIN' PLASTIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.357 uses one helping of lead, powder. Light loads are small enough to hunt small game, Heavy loads will take deer.

.44 uses two helpings of lead, powder. Any loads will mess up small game, heavy loads will take anything in North America.

.38/357 brass is very cheap, .44 not so cheap. Live .357 rounds weigh much less.

I opted for .45colt but someday want a .357 too, since you are in Alberta I would say get a .44/.45 so in a pinch you can take bear, elk etc.

PP

PACKIN' PLASTIC
1 Acorn Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PACKIN' PLASTIC   Email PACKIN' PLASTIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr .45,

Cowboy action .44 loads kick like an M1 Carbine, heavy loads do kick but less than 12ga.

PP

kevin387
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevin387   Email kevin387   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both and have a strong preference for the 357.

In the last week or two their have been some threads discussing this. The 357 usually comes out ahead. Search for leveraction.

The 357 will do everything that you said you wanted it to do, so will the 44 but at a higher cost, more kick and less fun IMHO.

Kevin

SNAFU-M1A
Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAFU-M1A   Email SNAFU-M1A   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say go w/ 357. Seems to be easier to find & I believe you can use .38 in it as well.
dustmaker
Elder States Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dustmaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody seems to have an opinion concerning caliber. Mine is do you have a handgun in either? Buy the lever that matches what you already have. In my case I have both 357 and 44 soooo I guess I need a 357 lever now [Big Grin] . Wonder if the wife will buy that excuse?

dusty

misanthropist
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for misanthropist   Email misanthropist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a fairly long thread on this exact subject called something like "for those who favour a pistol/carbine combo."
Ol Judge Creek
1 Acorn Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ol Judge Creek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
claykuch,

Both have their uses, advantages and disadvantages and a lot of that depends on where you are. In the eastern and southern US, the 357 will adequately take everything except moose - and it might do that if the shooter knows his stuff. I spent the first half of my 63 years living there. FWIW: I've taken a bear with a single 357 round from a Ruger Blackhawk, but those bears don't hold a candle to the ones I seen in Alaska. I can't say about your area, because I've never been there.

Here in the west and 1500 miles or so south of you, when I'm on my ranch or prospecting in the desert, I generally carry a 44 mag - in both Marlin lever gun and S&W DA revolver.

Given handgun restrictions in Canada as I understand them, revolver and rifle in the same caliber might be difficult to accomplish although I know it can be done. So, if the revolver /rifle combo is not a problem, I'd say so with the 44 magnum.

If it is a problem - or simply not worth the aggravation - based on what you say you want to do with it, I'd recommend a Marlin 30-30.

In your neck of the woods, I'd choose the 44 mag.

JamesTheScot
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesTheScot   Email JamesTheScot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dustmaker:
Everybody seems to have an opinion concerning caliber. Mine is do you have a handgun in either? Buy the lever that matches what you already have. In my case I have both 357 and 44 soooo I guess I need a 357 lever now [Big Grin] . Wonder if the wife will buy that excuse?

dusty

Dusty,

you gotta give her the purse and shoes argument so she'll understand.

"Darlin', me having the .357 pistol without the matching .357 rifle is like you having a pretty red purse with no red shoes to match."

WARNING: While this will usually work...it will also mean she gets to go spend $800 on matching shoes and purse. And since she may not concede that your guns "are for the family to use" while her acccesories are not, you won't be able to tell her 'no'.

[Smile]

Mannlicher
Elder States Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mannlicher   Email Mannlicher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything a .357 carbine can do, the .44 Mag can, and will do better. There is no noticable recoil with either.
I have, and shoot carbines in both calibers. The .357 is a Rossi Model 92, with a Lyman receiver sight. This little carbine is fast, fun, and accurate. the .44 Mag is a Marlin 1894. The .44 Mag Marlin is the meat gun though, not the .357
I load my own for both, so cost is not really much of a factor for me.

sean m
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sean m   Email sean m   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which one of the calibers aare you already geared up for?
Ol Mose
Elder States Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ol Mose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other thought is in a long term survival situation (if you consider that) you use less lead and powder in a 357 mag. But then you do get a bigger bang at the other end with a 44
Seldom Seen
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seldom Seen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no noticable recoil with either.

True. I have the 1894 Marlin in 44 mag and it's a fun little shooter. I like mine plenty and it's also good for a girlfriend gun.

tomfromtheshade
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomfromtheshade   Email tomfromtheshade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally would go with the .44 magnum.

What is the heaviest commercially available load for the .357? I'm not 100% positive, but I think that it is 158 grains.

The .44 on the other hand allows you to use loads up to 240 grains right off the shelf from your local gunshop.

The .44 is going to pack a lot more punch on deer and other animals as well. I would feel much more comfortable knowing that I had the extra power.

But, as they say, opinions are like turd cutters...everybody has one and most of them stink. Go to the store, and go with your gut feeling. Both are nice rifles, and I don't think that you would be disappointed with either.

mouse
Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse   Email mouse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I don't think anyone has said it this time .. BUY BOTH!!!!!!!!!!

mouse

FortyMile
Elder States Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FortyMile   Email FortyMile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your talking deer .44 gives you some margin over .357 You can put a good sized hole in a deer at 70 yards + with a .44

Then you need to get a .44 revolver to match your carbine.

If you reload you can download the .44 as far as you need for plinking.

Might look at the 45 colt too, especially if you reload.

Tracy
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy   Email Tracy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With handloads in a .357 carbine, you can drive a 200 grain bullet over 1700 fps. That's .30/30 territory. Any hash you can't settle with that, you won't do much better with a .44 magnum.
Plus, the .357 is much better for small game, uses 2/3 the amount of powder and lead as the .44, and brass is much cheaper and more available. I have even loaded and fired a 280 yes 280 grain lead round nose bullet successfully in my .357 carbine. Lyman #358009 bullet mould, intended for .35 Whelen which is what I bought it for.
I recommend the .357 magnum.

Tracy
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy   Email Tracy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, 90% of the loads I fire in my .35 Whelen, I could duplicate in my .357 carbine.
Black Flag
Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black Flag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claykuch, I have leverguns in .357,.44, and.45, they all pretty much do the same and I would match the rifle up to the pistol I had, if in the lower 48 I think I would settle on the .357/.38 because ammo is cheaper, and lighter and more frugal. There are loads both commercial and handloads that will kill everything from squirrels to polar bears (several guys in the '30's did this with revolvers)Buffalo Bore makes a 180gr wfn hard cast .357 at over 1800fps, it will make a permanant 1" wound channel and extreme penetration on large game, so will a .44 and .45lc using the proper ammo, but .357 can get it done.
However, since you live in Canada and handguns are not ok (from what I understand) .30-30 as OJC mentioned can do everything you've mentioned. 125gr jhp for home defense, lead small game loads filled with Unique, 170gr hard cast lead for big game up to moose, and the new 160gr leverevolution from Hornady only drops 12" at 300 yds, with a 2" zero @ 100yds that's only 10" low @ 300 yds which is definately minute of bad guy.

chrisontheright
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisontheright   Email chrisontheright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for the 357, if you will not be facing large bears. If you woods loaf in the domain of the grizzly or larger than you at least a 30-30, but I would go for 444, 450, or 45-70 in a lever.
Ol Mose
Elder States Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ol Mose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a FYI Corbon sells a 180grain hunting load for the 357 magnum.
sparky1970
Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparky1970   Email sparky1970   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ol Mose:
Just as a FYI Corbon sells a 180grain hunting load for the 357 magnum.

I shoot Winchester 180gr Partition Gold in my 94, and it works quite well on the deer in my area.
beck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beck   Email beck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy. This thread got me thinking. Most hunting encounters (where you know you've got a shot) occur under 200 yards. Most self defense encounters are under 100 yards.

I was going to get my AK next week but now, that .357 leve action has my interest, considering my handgun experience with that round.

Things that make you think.....

chrisontheright
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisontheright   Email chrisontheright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
beck,

I live, work, and drive through rural Kentucky towns everyday. I personally feel that it will handle just about everything that will be thrown at me with the exception really reaching out and touching someone. But that is not completely untrue, I used to plink at old paint and dry wall mud buckets out to 200 yards. When in practice the paint buckets were easy at 100 and the dry wall mud buckets not much harder.

JamesTheScot
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesTheScot   Email JamesTheScot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beck:
Boy. This thread got me thinking. Most hunting encounters (where you know you've got a shot) occur under 200 yards. Most self defense encounters are under 100 yards.

I was going to get my AK next week but now, that .357 leve action has my interest, considering my handgun experience with that round.

Things that make you think.....

careful beck. stay with the AK.

lever guns are fun and useful tools...but there's a reason they've been obsolete for combat purposes for the better part of 100 years.

sure an AK will get you some stares that a lever gun won't...but WTSHTF all guns are gonna be suspect and you will be glad of the capability the AK brings to the table.

get the AK now, and get the levergun down the road.

hurricane
Flying Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurricane   Email hurricane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went with the 1894 Marlin in .44 magnum. This rifle will also shoot cast lead ammo and .44 Specials ( I don't think anyone said anything about that yet). I bought mine for whitetail deer and black bear hunting both from a stand. My next handgun will be a taurus tracker in .44 magnum.
Lawyerman
Elder States Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawyerman   Email Lawyerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boy whacked two 100 Lb feral hogs with his 1894 .357 on Friday. With one shot! Federal Castcore 180. It did the job, course he had excellent shot placement but penetration was spectacular.

I have two of each-.357's and .44! I plan on moving him up to the .44 and then to a .35 Rem. 336 eventually. In any event, at modest distances with good bullets and good placement the .357 will get the job done.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Frugal's Homepage for Patriots, Survivalists, & Gun Owners

This site, as well as all graphics, posts and logos are copyrighted and can not be used without written permission. 2001 - 2006 Preparedness Educational Services